South Calgary Wado Kai Spring Tournament - March 12, 2023
- Published: 01 March 2023 01 March 2023
- Last Updated: 01 March 2023 01 March 2023
On March 12, 2023 South Calgary Wado Kai will be hosting a WKF rules tournament. There will be recreational and elite divisions for ages 10 and up.
The tournament package can be found here. Please register for the WKF rules tournament on March 12th.
February - March 2023
- Published: 27 February 2023 27 February 2023
- Last Updated: 28 February 2023 28 February 2023
Congratulations to Donya Movaffagh and Omar Almishri for their results at the Canada Games
recently held in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Donya took home the gold medal, finishing in top
place in her division. Donya’s accomplishment is especially sweet: as a 15-year old, she needed special
permission to compete in the 16/17 year-old category. Winning gold in the older division is
outstanding! Omar took home the silver medal in his division after several hard-fought matches. He
had an added achievement during the games in that he was chosen as a banner bearer for the Alberta
Team during the opening ceremonies. The Alberta provincial karate athletes had a very good showing
at the competition, taking home seven medals overall, including two gold, one silver and four bronze.
Well done Donya and Omar! The entire dojo applauds your hard work and dedication!
New Competition Rules for 2023
- Published: 13 January 2023 13 January 2023
- Last Updated: 13 January 2023 13 January 2023
The WKF has published new competition rules for 2023. The are number of significant changes including:
- The manditory use of face masks or helmets for U14 categories. In 2024 the exclusive use of a WKF approved helmet will be compulsory.
- The combining and reduction of category 1 and 2 warnings into one stream.
- Electronic scoring. Flags used by corner judges will be replaced by joysticks.
- The number of judges scores used to arrive at a the final score is increased to 5. Only the highest and lowest scores are removed.
- Only one score is given by each judge. The requirement to give a technical (70%) and athletic score (30%) has been removed.
- For official WKF events the use of Karategi with red or blue embroidery will be compulsory.
The complete completion rules can be found on the downloads page here.
How to be a Good Karate Parent
- Published: 08 March 2014 08 March 2014
- Last Updated: 26 June 2016 26 June 2016
From Karate by Jesse http://www.karatebyjesse.com
Note: I came across the following article and thought our dojo parents might enjoy it. I know I did!
Imagine the horror:
- You’ve been driving your kids to Karate class, tournaments and camps for years.
- You’ve spent boatloads of money on uniforms, belts, gradings and equipment.
- You’ve invested hundreds of hours to relentlessly push your kids to the limit.
Then one day…
BANG! They quit. Just like that. You’re heartbroken. Flabbergasted. Why?! You try to talk to them. You try to convince them to continue. You tell them they’ve come too far to quit now – give it another shot, kiddo! But nothing works. When a child makes her mind up, there’s not much you can do really.