- Published: 17 September 2018 17 September 2018
- Last Updated: 11 November 2018 11 November 2018
Welcome back to all returning members and to those new to the dojo, thank you for choosing Sabean Karate Academy! We have had a challenging start to the year with our dojo being unavailable while the floor is being refinished. Though we haven’t begun our physical training together for the year – currently our start date is September 25 – now is a great time to consider our mental preparation. Whether starting something new or just coming back from a break, it’s always a good idea to think about what brought you here. Consider these questions to help you figure out how to have a fun, challenging and successful year in karate:
- What are your goals for the year?
- What do you hope to achieve/abilities you want to develop?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What actions are you willing to take to get there?
- How will you know when you have arrived? What is the measure of your success?
- What might get in your way?
- Who can help you on your quest?
If you need any help setting goals for this year, contact me.
As we closed out our training in June, we talked a bit about the changes each of us could make to gain the greatest improvements. And while enhanced fitness, strength, flexibility and speed are all important, changing the way we think will have the greatest impact. We all tend to pigeon-hole ourselves: I’m not fast enough, other competitors are stronger, I’m not experienced enough. But if we take some time to change the way we think about the challenges we face, chances are good that we will see significant improvements.
Speaking of challenges, our provincial team members will begin preparing right away for the 2019 national championships. This year the competition has been divided according to age: the Canadian National Senior Championships will be held in Montreal in January, while the Canadian National Junior Championships will be held here in Calgary in May. Stay tuned for more information about these important competitions and, for the Calgary event, ways to get involved.
- No fees are required for September – please adjust your records accordingly
- Class cancellation: No class on Friday, October 5 for the Thanksgiving Weekend
“Don’t ask if your dreams are crazy. Ask if they are crazy enough.” Colin Kaepernick
Enjoy Your Training!