- Published: 09 May 2015 09 May 2015
- Last Updated: 26 June 2016 26 June 2016
As we move towards the end of our karate training year, there is one important concept that we should revisit. Why are you here? I know that might sound like an existential, out-there kind of question, but it’s an important one. Each of us comes to karate for a different reason, but it’s important for you to know what your reason is. If we cannot define why we come to class and continue to train, then it is truly difficult to focus on improvements – we are only going through the motions. For me, my goal is to ensure that everyone in the class has the confidence, skills and wherewithal to defend themselves if they are confronted and their safety is at risk. For each of you, the goals could include self-defense, fitness, mental challenge, competition – any number of things. I am happy to help you reach your goals, but first we each need to be able to articulate what those are.
Once we know why we come to karate two and three times per week, knowing what to work on – what techniques need attention such that you can reach your goals – becomes easier. And a really crucial part of that is focus. During our training, I’ve stressed the importance of calming yourself between techniques – no fidgeting, no adjusting your stance, your Gi or your hair – just concentrate on delivering the next technique. As well, at times we all have a tendency to over think the drills. In order to deliver a technique effectively, we need balance – mental, physical and emotional and over thinking, or fidgeting, can put us out of balance. Sometimes it is the quiet point between each technique where we focus and learn the most.
- Upcoming class cancellations: Friday, May 15; Thursday, May 28 and Friday June 12.
- Please note that for Thursday, May 28, the adult class is invited to join Sensei Marc Ward’s class at his Dojo – Shotokan Karate Canada at 6:30PM. The dojo is located at The Montgomery Community Center, 5003 - 16th Avenue NW (corner of Home Road and 16th Ave NW).
- Updated: Please save the dates – June 3rd and 4th – as Soke Sensei will be conducting several classes in Canmore at our friend Shimazu Sensei’s dojo. Class times are Wednesday and Thursday evening from 6:30PM to 9:00PM. Please see the event posting for additional details.
- Soke Sensei's visit is in addition to the annual Canmore Summer Camp scheduled for August 12 to 16, 2015. Shimizu Sensei has worked very hard to organize the camp and has secured special rates at the Blackstone Lodge in Canmore. Please call the hotel at 1-888-830-8883 for reservations and to receive the special rate, mention the Group Sales Code: Karate.
- Thank you to everyone who has ordered club clothing, Mrs. Blunt and Mrs. Workman have submitted the orders, with an expected delivery date of about May 22.
One more thought related to calming ourselves and our minds during training:
“Real growth often happens outside of where we intend it to... in what Dr. Seuss calls “the waiting place.” Bruce Mau
Enjoy your training!
Sensei Gary Sabean