- Published: 11 October 2016 11 October 2016
- Last Updated: 17 October 2016 17 October 2016
The last month has given us lots of opportunities to get back into training condition and attitude. The provincial team hopefuls in our dojo have had a weekend of training with Karate Alberta, as well as a workshop hosted by Seba Sensei – one of the most experienced and decorated kumite coaches in the world. Dojo members who did not attend either of these events have also benefited: we have introduced many of the drills and techniques in our regular classes. Our usual focus for kumite training is to score – but one thing that the sessions with Seba Sensei revealed is that we are all too focused on offense. Our defense is often weak and ineffective which, ironically, means we miss key scoring opportunities.
So, our focus for the next few weeks will be on kumite and more specifically, defense: getting the footwork right, which ensures we get the distance right – which, as mentioned will lead to good scoring opportunities.
Members will have the chance to test out their refined skills in the first Karate Alberta Tournament of this training year, scheduled for October 15 at Le Roi Daniels School in SE Calgary. Check out the events listing on the rights side of this page or the Karate Alberta website for more information.
As we intensify our workouts and take on new techniques, remember...
“It’s a slow process, but quitting won’t speed it up.”
- IMPORTANT CLASS SCHEDULE CHANGES: WEEK OF OCTOBER 24. Please review the events schedule on the right side of this page as we have some temporary class schedule changes during the week of October 24th.
- Classes are cancelled on Friday, November 11 and Thursday, November 24.
- All Alberta Invitational Tournament in Calgary, November 26.
- Special Kumite Clinic - Alberta Meets Japan at the dojo, November 27.
Enjoy your training!