- Published: 13 January 2017 13 January 2017
- Last Updated: 13 January 2017 13 January 2017
Happy new year and welcome back to everyone! I hope the holiday break gave you some time to relax with family and friends and recharge for the coming year.
Congratulations to our dojo members recently selected to the Karate Alberta Provincial team: Sempai Mariah Blunt, Ethan Baker and Diego Ruiz-Silva. This is Sempai Mariah’s seventh time on the provincial team and the second time for each of Ethan and Diego. Congratulations also to our honourary dojo members – Sempai Ethan Strobach and Sempai Ty Nguyen – and all the athletes selected to represent our province at the Canadian National Karate Championships, being held in Quebec City on February 21 to 24. We know they have worked very hard to get there and will compete well among Canada’s best.
In the coming weeks, we will continue our focus on kumite in order to support the provincial team members in their final preparations for the Championships. As well, our Friday night kumite sessions will likely include team members from other dojos as they complete their final push. Note – Friday night sessions will now begin at 7 pm, running to 9 pm.
Over the final few weeks of 2016 we had the opportunity to work with Jamie Mackin as he introduced us to yoga, with a specific focus on spinal alignment techniques. He practiced karate for 20+ years and is well aware of the strength and flexibility required to be successful, as well as the impact of karate on your body. If you have any questions about his techniques or need more information, let me know.
Finally – January is typically the time when we re-evaluate our training regimes. If you have any questions about setting some goals for your karate training for 2017, please let me know as I will be happy to work with you to help you focus on taking your training to the next level.
“If you face just one opponent but doubt yourself, you are outnumbered.”
- The two children’s 4 to 6-year old classes (Friday nights) will now be combined into one, running from 6:00 to 6:45 pm on Friday nights.
- Friday night kumite sessions now begin at 7 pm and run to 9 pm.
- Sensei Louis Plumacher will be a guest instructor at our kumite class on Friday, January 20.
- Class Cancellations (updated): No classes on Thursday, February 16 and Friday, February 17, for the Family Day long weekend. Special make-up classes will be held on Wednesday, February 15.
Enjoy your training!