Dr. Tsuyoshi Chitose
Dr. Tsuyoshi Chitose, also known as Chinen Gua in Okinawa, was the founder of Chito Ryu Karate. Born in Kumochi, Naha City, Okinawa-ken (prefecture), on October 18th, 1898 Dr. Chitose created Chito Ryu after spending years studying both Shorin-Ryu and Shorei-Ryu. He became the Supreme Instructor, 10th dan, of Chito-Kai of the All Japan Karate Doh Federation.
Chito Ryu developed from two disciplines, Shuri no Te (now known as Shorin-Ryu) and Naha no Te (now known as Shorei-Ryu). O-Sensei created Chito Ryu by combining the merits of each with his medical knowledge to come up with a more healthy alternative.
O-Sensei was introduced into the secrets of Naha no Te by the respected fifth master Mr. Aragaki Ou at the age of seven. At that time Mr. Gichin Funakoshi a pioneer of Karate-do on the mainland was also in Naha as a student.
At Shuri city O-Sensei studied under such masters as: Mr. Choyu Motobu, Mr. Chotoku Kiyan, Mr. Haragusuku Chiyomu, Mr. Kanryo Higaonna (who also taught Mr. Chojun Miyagusuku, the founder of Goju-Ryu and Mr. Kenwa Mabuni, the founder of Shito-Ryu).
In 1922 O-Sensei went to Tokyo to study medicine, while there he assisted in the opening of Mr. Funakoshi's SHOTO-KAI YOTSUYA dojo. He instructed in kumite and the kata of SEISAN and BASSAI.
After World War II, in March 1946, O-Sensei opened a karate dojo called Yoseikan in Naka Machi, Kikuchi-gun, Kumamoto-ken.
In 1958 O-Sensei attained the the rank of Juudan from ZEN OKINAWA KARATE KOBUDO RENGO KAI (The all Okinawa Karate and Weaponry association).
In 1975 he moved his dojo which was known as the SOHONBU (General headquarters) to Tsuboi, Kumamoto City, where it presently exists.
At O-Sensei's death in 1984, his son Yasuhiro Chitose assumed the name of his father , Tsuyoshi Chitose and took on the responsibilities as new Soke